Sunday, February 19, 2006

The De-evolution of John Thompson

I suppose this is the most appropriate image for me to kick off this blog. When I mentioned what I was doing to a few people, their first comments were in regard to this cartoon. Funny what remains in the memory banks after 20 odd years. I'm pretty philosophical about it nowadays. At the time, it was funny to me and to a few others, but now I wonder if it wasn't just an obnoxious potshot at a friend. We've not heard much from Bud in the last 10 or so years. Maybe this is a good example of why. By the way, for those of you with delicate sensibilities, understand that the language contained in this cartoon is from a snapshot in time and in no way a reflection of Bud or (I think) myself in reality now. I suppose you can approach what I post from hereon out in two ways then--I'm either a nasty little man who can draw or I'm a harmless artist/cartoonist whose opinion means very little, at any rate, but who feels an egotistical need to leave something behind for posterity; or just an outlet to relate my opinions.

Now, as to why I decided to finally start to blog. Last fall I was goofing around on the web, probably procrastinating while working at home, when I decided to Google a friend from college. We were cube-mates in the graphic design program at Penn State. Lo and behold, I found Dave at a blog called aviatordave, etc. (don't bother, it's "defunct" as you will shortly find out why). It was remarkable to see what Dave had been up to as we had lost touch for the last 15 years. Crazy. He had become a pilot and owned his own small plane, gotten remarried, among other things, and, much to my shock, had contracted lung cancer months earlier. I found him roughly before Thanksgiving and we exchanged a few e-mails and, just before my family went off to Florida to visit my parents, I read that Dave had finally succumbed to the disease. He fought valiantly from what I've heard from him and from his wonderful wife's blog. I feel terrible that I'd lost contact with Dave but then I realized that WE lost contact, not just me. I still have so many unanswered questions of Dave, one big one in particular, but some information just goes to the grave, unfortunately.

Well, back to why I decided to blog. Seeing Dave's life unfold on his blog was fascinating to me. I'd like to thank him for inspiring me to finally find a voice of sorts. I've never felt that I had anything substantive or interesting to say. But, now I feel that the time has come. What I DO have to say will be contained in some of the art I've done in my life, whether it is commercial or personal. I'll most likely comment on the pieces too. Maybe even have a rant that is unrelated to art. Who knows?

Dave's ashes will be scattered in flight over the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York on what would have been his 39th birthday.

God bless you, Dave.

1 Comments:

At 2/20/2006 08:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember (vaguely!) seeing this cartoon when the ink was still wet. What a blast! I'm looking froward to a complete brain-dump (or portfolio-dump)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home