Monday, February 27, 2006

Suddenly Seymour

This is a piece done the year following Veggiefus. It was never used due to my employers' myopia.

My intention with this illustration was pay homage to Seymour Chwast. I've always loved his illustration style and, especially, his staying power and relevance.

While doing research at the time, and to my amazement, I found that Mr. Chwast was selling
royalty-free illustration in a set of 5 CDs. I was reminded of what my college professor used to tell us repeatedly--this is not art! More to the point, this is commerce.

Mr. Chwast, while being a giant in the industry, is obviously humble enough to sell his work in a RF format. Some day, I'd love to do the same. I recommend you link to his site and check out his posters. Some may even be familier to the laity. Beautifully colorful, clever and stylish! His wrok still pops up in the most unexpected places, recently in an issue of the Nation I was reading (Jan. 30, 2006).

A few years ago, I asked a few young artists if they knew who Seymour Chwast was. None of them knew. Very sad. I blame the schools their schools and instructors. As I was so surprised, I then thought I might offer to their school my services as a graphic design history instructor. I didn't follow through. I've been busy enough with my own business. The prospect still has a certain hold on me though. I used to enjoy mentoring young people in the business. Still do when I can. Explaining to them why we do what we do is paramount. Schools usually only teach them the what and how.

I must say that this piece isn't instantly recognizable as Chwast-like, considering that S. seemed to excel at human characterization. Ironic, then, that the ONE time I choose to honor him I choose a piece almost devoid of a human character. Further irony that, looking back upon my work as I prepared it for blogs ad infinitum, I've tended to be primarily a character illustrator.

I beefed up this illustration and added my own little style to it. Too bad this idea was cut. Not everyone appreciates illustration. They think it cheapens the message. One final irony, in that respect--I chose to do this illustration because I knew that a brightly-colored, fun, graphically-oriented cover would pop in the drab racks of the county's many restaurant foyers and gift shops. Much like Mr. Chwast's posters.

Suddenly, Seymour, is standing beside you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home