Friday, March 31, 2006

Two Guys, A Pledge and a Party Place

Rated PGU-13*
Warning: This post contains childish humor and should not be viewed
by anyone over the age of 13.

Due to the crankiness of my last post, I decided to do something a little bit more fun, less venomous in this post. Enjoy.

This little cartoon I did as an answer to why my roommate was nicknamed "Bubbles". This is purely conjecture. I have yet to know why he
WAS called Bubbles. Of course, I never did call Bob Bubbles. Seemed a little strange to me. Made me feel as though I was part of the butt of a joke I wasn't in on (even though EVERYONE else was doing it!) If ANYONE within the sound of this blog can tell me why Bob was called Bubbles, please enlighten us all.


The song following is a little about my summer of '85. I worked all summer, Bob took one class I think. Lane, not sure, maybe took a few classes. The House was relatively empty and boy did we have fun! Going to sleep when the birds were chirping early in the morning almost every day, antagonizing Lane and Gina incessantly. I'm sure there are a lot more memories I've lost. Talk to Lane--see if he has equally as good memories of that summer.

LITTLE LANE KINTIGH
(Sung to the tune of Big Harlan Taylor)

I once had a roommate his name was Bubbles
He was better than roommates that I'd had so far
And we had us a pledge named Little Lane Kintigh

And Bubbles had a rubber tired Granada car

Oh the ways of two frat boys as we pestered our pledgie
Should have put Dwayne in therapy for many a year

Oh we climbed on the rooftop but Lane wasn’t buying
We tried but in vain to get him back in our room
He’d lost motor function and the will to go on
What we’d done to cause this had brought on our doom

Oh the ways of two frat boys as we annoyed our newbie
Should have therapized Klinja for many a year

But it was a good summer for Bob, me and Lanie
There was a lot of real stupid things that we’d do
Like taking the
Granada car down to Beta
What a funny night that was for we Sigma Nus

Oh the ways of two frat boys as we abused dear Lanie
Might have put him in therapy for many a year
Yeah, shoulda ther-appized him many a year
Oompapa oompapa oompapa...

This little gem some of you may know. During a toga party once, I remember chatting with Bob on the second floor near the window at the end of the hall (where the vaccuum more often than not was found beneath after any other party.) Well, this party was different. What was different was that a vaccuum was never found at THIS particular party, but something else. Bob and I were chatting--he was not betoga-ed, I was--and during that chat Bob was looking in and out of the window, nervously it seemed. He had locked the door to his room, 210, and was trying to determine how easily he could get through his room's window. I left Bob, wandered off bored. Later I heard that TR was on the dance floor with someone when he turned to them and asked, "Was that Bubbles who just fell past the window?" Indeed it was! Now, two things are important to remember: I'm fairly certain that Bob wasn't drinking much, if at all, that night AND when Steve Kearns called a news crew to report on the incident later on, we all couldn't get past how unbelievably stupid he was to do that. Brilliant idea to bring a news crew to report an accident that happened DURING a party in your OWN fraternity! VERY bright public relations move, thank you very much, Steve!

Well, instead of spreading the news of a "drunken" incident at a frat, thus underscoring what everyone assumed about frats, I decided to simply draw this clever little cartoon. Might have even been Lane's idea. Not sure.

To be fair to Bob, both and he and I were climbers. When we lived in the second floor suite in the summer of '85, we used to climb up on the roof all the time. Once, Lane even "joined" us. Most likely we're the reason going up on the roof was banned. Good idea, I suppose. Of course, I don't recall ever listening to what I was told to do much at the House
(see fireworks and Fiji; flags and Fiji; flags and Beta; etc.).

On a final note: Once while attending a party at Lane's in Pittsburgh in about '98 I was surprised to find that Bob would be coming by with his son (sans wife for some reason). It was pretty interesting to me as I hadn't seen Bob since Kintigh's wedding and before that, after playing strip beer pong with Lane and winning Mr. Sigma Nu! Seems to be a pattern, here, huh? Well, at that party I heard Bob yelling Alexander's name and wondered why he was yelling at my son. I went over to see what was going on and realized that he was yelling at HIS son, Alexander! Pretty funny. His son was teaching my son to throw rocks at my minivan, by the way. Now I have daydreams of Alexander Ross and my Alexander having their fun with Jack Kintigh while living at Sigma Nu. Hey, it could happen!

Most likely Jack will have been trained up a little by his dad though and would know how to handle those two.


*PG Under 13

1 Comments:

At 11/26/2010 05:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice weblog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home